Is Pele’s Widow Marcia Aoki Japanese? All About Her Ethnicity

Marcia Aoki is famous for being the third wife of legendary Brazilian footballer Pele. She also won the hearts of many fans around the world for staying beside him when he was sick till he passed away.

However, despite her fame, Aoki has largely kept a low profile. Therefore, several things about her, such as her background, remain a mystery.

So, who is Marcia Aoki? Below is everything about Pele’s widow, from her background to ethnicity, her marriage to Pele, and other interesting facts.

She Was Born in Brazil to Japanese Immigrants

Marcia Cibele Aoki was born in Penápolis, São Paulo, Brazil, on May 7, 1966.

She grew up in São Paolo alongside her brother, Carlos Albero Aoki. She attended a local school in the city before attending high school and later university for her bachelor’s degree.

Marcia Aoki is the daughter of Paulo Aoki and Isaura Aoki. Her father was a paediatrician, while her mother was a businesswoman.

Her parents were Japanese immigrants who had settled in the South American country. Having been born in Brazil, Aoki is a Brazilian national of Japanese descent. 

She is an Entrepreneur

After completing her studies, Pele’s widow sought a career in the business world.

She is an importer and supplier of medical equipment. From the looks of things, she followed in her parents’ footsteps in medicine and business.

She Met Pele in the 1980s

Marcia Aoki and Pele first met at a party in New York in the 1980s. At the time, Pele was going through a divorce from his first wife.

CHECK OUT:  North and South America national soccer teams nicknames

The two reconnected in 2008 when they bumped into each other in a lift in an apartment block in Sao Paulo where they both lived. This time, it was Aoki who was going through a divorce.

After meeting each other again, they started talking, and over time, their friendship blossomed into a romance.

She Married Pele in 2016

Pele and Marcia Aoki on their wedding day.
Pele and Marcia Aoki on their wedding day. Image: Facebook/northeasttoday

Pele and Aoki started dating sometime around 2010. However, they kept their relationship private and never commented on it, even after being spotted several times in public.

According to The Mirror, the couple had planned to marry in 2014 but were forced to postpone their plans after Pele got sick.

However, they finally married in 2016 in a small, private ceremony in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

She and Pele Did Not Have Any Children Together

Marcia Aoki and Pele did not have any children together. In addition, there is no mention of Pele’s widow having any children from her previous marriage.

On the other hand, Pele had seven children from his past marriages and relationships.

Pele’s first marriage was to Rosemeri dos Reis Cholbi, whom he married in 1966. They had three children: Kelly Christina Arantes, Jennifer Cholby Arantes, and Edinho Arantes.

In 1994, the footballer married gospel singer Assíria Lemos Seixas. They had two children together, twins Joshua and Celest Arantes.

The Brazilian legend also had two more children through affairs: Flavia Arantes, born out of an affair with journalist Lenita Kurtz, and Sandra Machado as a result of an affair with his housemaid Anisia Machado.

CHECK OUT:  Is Leah Williamson’s partner Jordan Nobbs or Alex Scott?

It is possible that Pele had more children from other affairs.

In an interview aired on a Netflix documentary, the footballer admitted to having been unfaithful several times, stating:

 “I’ve had a few affairs, some of which resulted in children, but I only learned about them later. My first wife knew all about it, I never lied to anyone.”

She Penned an Emotional Letter After Pele Passed Away

Marcia and Pele in happier times
Marcia and Pele in happier times. Image: Instagram/pele

Pele passed away in 2022 from Colon cancer, six years after marrying Aoki. During all this time, she stayed beside him, offering support.

After his death, Pele’s widow wrote an emotional letter that was shared on Instagram. Part of the letter read:

“Sharing my life with Edson [Pele] was living a real story of a unique love.” “This love will never die and will continue between us. Forever.”

She Inherited 30% of Pele’s Assets

Pele left a will bequeathing Marcia Aoki 30% of his assets, with the rest 70% shared amongst his children.

According to Celebrity Net Worth, Pele was worth around $100 million at his death. Therefore, Aoki inherited around $30 million from his estate.

Leave a Comment